What is the process for career consultations?
Step 1. Free Initial Consultation
1. Call or email me, and we will set a time for your free initial consultation.
2. During your free initial consultation…
- We will review your situation and begin pinpoint the issues.
- I will let you know how I can help with these issues.
- I will answer your questions about how I work.
Step 2. Assessment
1. If you choose to continue the process, the next step is usually an assessment.
2. The assessment…
- Prior to our meeting, you will complete a few questionnaires, including a detailed analysis of your satisfaction with the practice of law, which will help me understand your goals, background, and personal style. If you have prior assessments (career assessments, leadership assessments, etc.) that you have done, feel to email those to me. The more information I have, the faster I get to the right questions and an understanding of the issues.
- My pattern of questions might look a little random and wide-reaching, but that’s by design. That is the best way for me to learn about you – by listening to the content, process, and direction of your thought.
- A 90 minute meeting, usually by phone or in person if you prefer, where…
- We review the materials you complete.
- We discuss the underlying issues causing the problems you have identified and define direction for addressing those issues.
- We discuss the goals, the scope of the project, and set a schedule to address the underlying issues.
- We discuss fee options including flat fee or hourly and determine which you prefer.
Step 3. Consultation Plans
1. If you choose to continue the process, the next step is usually a consultation plan.
2. I will document our plan in writing as we begin the consultation process. You will receive a career summary in IRAC format which will also address the plan and goals we set forth.
3. We work on your goals to get the results you want.
4. Length of time for consultation plans is determined by the extent of your unique individual goals. Some people want to fix a particular issue. Some want to understand and fix the hidden patterns causing the issues. Some want to leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of their full potential.
5. Typical goals include:
- Improve ability to do business development;
- Balance need for excellence with perfectionist personality;
- Eliminate ineffective use of time;
- Determine next best career choices;
- Ensure that all potential for effectiveness is maximized
- Improve stress management;
- Optimize career;
- Decrease tension between work and personal demands;
- Improve productivity.
How do you work?
Primarily by phone and email. We can schedule in-person meetings especially if you are in the area.
What will I accomplish if I hire you?
You work in a world where being good isn’t enough. You need to be your best. You need to stay at the pinnacle of your game. The only way to do that is by getting outside perspective. Career coaching and consulting is designed to help you achieve and maintain your full potential – in both your professional and personal lives.
What we accomplish is determined by your personal goals.
Do you have a plan that all your clients go through?
No. Each client is unique and deserves a unique plan. We will assess and address certain core areas and issues. The specifics of what we do and how we do it are tailored to you and your needs.
You do understand that many lawyers cuss like sailors?
I’ll be in good company.
What’s it going to cost?
Most clients prefer my flat fee arrangements. Some choose a pay-as-you-go hourly plan. Sometimes a hybrid approach works best. We will craft a plan based on your needs, preferences, and the scope of the work. We will discuss fees during the assessment phase; most projects range from $1000-$5000.
How do we get started?
Call or email me to schedule your initial consultation. Initial consultation calls are always free.
Is this therapy?
No. My career consulting services are not therapy and should not be considered as such. Of course, I bring to the table all my skills and insights gained through years of conducting therapy. One advantage for you is that there are no diagnoses, no medical records, and no associated potential stigma.
What do clients improve during their work with you?
My clients achieve true success. True success is marked by leading a life you love, where you are truly effective and truly happy in your work. Greater happiness, trite though it may sound, is the key factor in true success.
Clients tell me that they are happier and more effective in both their professional and personal lives. Happiness is derived from decreasing stress regarding work, increasing mental balance and toughness, and increasing self-understanding and self-knowledge.
As a practical matter, my clients tell me that they:
- Are relaxed when they hear the Blackberry buzz – They no longer jump at the sound
- Sleep better – They aren’t awake until 2 am fretting, they sleep soundly, and they awake rested
- Worry less – Their minds are no longer racing through a series of stressors
- Are hopeful about their future for the first time in years – They actually sometimes even learn to enjoy the practice of law when they had hated it for many years
- Have eliminated migraines – Regular, persistent migraines have basically disappeared from some clients’ lives. They’ve attributed this to hopefulness and implementing changes leading to a better future
- Have lost weight due to not being stressed – They have improved their stress coping mechanisms such that they manage stress mentally
- Enjoy time with their spouse and children again – Not being preoccupied with work makes family relationships better
- Are happy to get up in the morning – No more dreading the alarm clock
- Are more focused at work – Their concentration improves such that they don’t have to fight themselves to get focused
- And, the biggest tangible achievement, PRODUCTIVITY improvements –
- They bill more hours in less time with greatly reduced stress
Will this be confidential?
Yes absolutely. All information, documents, and conversations will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone unless required by law. In the event of a subpoena or other legal process seeking confidential information, I will contact you at the address I have for you and notify you so you can object or take appropriate measures.
How do I contact you?
Call me directly at 812.350.0306 or email me at email@example.com to schedule your initial analysis.